Field Technician I - Construction
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
The primary function of this position is to independently troubleshoot, remove, install, replace, re-build, repair, & test parts/equipment on construction equipment at an advanced level while working in the field
- Check the equipment and supplies required to perform the work scheduled, comply with PPE requirements, and otherwise prepare for duties.
- Uses manuals, repair manuals, parts manuals, parts diagrams to troubleshoot construction equipment.
- Uses lift trucks, overhead cranes, & other aides to lift or move parts into position to be repaired.
- Uses hand & power tools to remove, install, replace, re-build, repair, & test parts/equipment on construction equipment.
- Uses multiple resources and computers to reference parts, get information about parts & enter data into record systems.
- Uses tools to disassemble/re assemble parts or equipment; cleans parts with rags, cleaners, power washer; uses test equipment to make diagnostic checks; and uses powered equipment or tools to make repairs.
- Climbs up onto, under, & into vehicles to gain access to all parts of vehicle.
- Uses overhead hoists, lift devices, forklifts & other aides to move items off vehicle (tracks, idler wheels, blades, etc.) & then to move parts to locations for disassembly, repair, then back to the vehicle for reassembly.
- Performs inspections, do preventative maintenance, change oil, replace filters, belts, coolants, hoses, may drain/clean/refill fuel systems.
- Uses welders to weld frames, and use power grinders to grind welds smooth
- Lift/carry and position hydraulic rams used to install press fit items
- Uses power washers & spray paint equipment to clean & paint vehicle.
- Uses instruments and computers to reprogram equipment controllers.
Must have a high school education or GED.
Six years of experience with at least four years of experience on Cat equipment or other similar equipment; Must be proficient in at least four mechanical systems (i.e. transmissions, engines, hydraulics, etc.) for numerous model lines.
Must be able to daily and repeatedly stoop, kneel, bend and climb beside, onto and underneath various equipment to perform diagnosis and repairs. Must be able to effectively see to perform repairs, research technical manuals, and develop written repair work order reports. Must be able to routinely and physically lift/position various parts to perform repairs/service and manually handle parts up to 100 pounds, as well as use mechanical hoist for heavier parts.
Must be able to effectively document repair activities on customer work orders. Must have cognitive reasoning and problem solving skills to apply knowledge, written information and verbal instructions in repairing/servicing unusual and/or unknown technical equipment operational problems. Should have basic proficiency using P.C. base equipment and parts information and the ability to learn and use various diagnostic and troubleshooting software; Can work independently with minimal supervision.
Field Activity- Must be able to daily operate a service vehicle and drive for extended periods to reach customerís locations. Must be able to effectively communicate using telephones to receive instructions and to provide service information. Must be able to effectively deal directly with customers at site locations in a professional manner.
Additional: Field activities require a valid state drivers license (obtain within 30 days of hire a valid license within the state of GPECís operation) AND posses a safe driving record, as outlined in our GPEC Motor Vehicle Policy. Some vehicles may require having or obtaining a valid Commercial Drivers License (CDL).
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Your supervisor may request and assign you similar duties.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.